Loncon 3, the 72nd World Science Fiction Convention, is happening 14-18 August 2014 at ExCeL London.
LONDON, 14 August 2014 – Loncon 3, also known as WorldCon 2014 the 72nd World Science Fiction Convention being held at London ExCeL from 14-18 August, is delighted to announce the 1939 Retro Hugo Award Winners.
1,307 valid ballots were received and counted in the final ballot. The full statistics for the nominating and final ballots are available from the Loncon 3 web site.
Best Novel: The Sword in the Stone by T. H. White (Collins)
Best Novella: “Who Goes There?” by Don A Stuart [John W. Campbell] (Astounding Science-Fiction, August 1938)
Best Novelette: “Rule 18” by Clifford D. Simak (Astounding Science-Fiction, July 1938)
Best Short Story: “How We Went to Mars” by Arthur C. Clarke (Amateur Science Stories, March 1938)
Best Dramatic Presentation (Short Form): The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells. Written by Howard Koch & Anne Froelick, directed by Orson Welles (The Mercury Theater on the Air, CBS)
Best Editor – Short Form: John W. Campbell
Best Professional Artist: Virgil Finlay
Best Fanzine: Imagination! edited by Forrest J Ackerman, Morojo, and T. Bruce Yerke
Best Fan Writer: Ray Bradbury
The 1939 Retro Hugo Award winners were announced at a ceremony held at Loncon 3 on Thursday evening, 14 August 2014 in London. The ceremony was hosted by Mary Robinette Kowal and Rob Shearman and broadcast live via Ustream.
The following other awards were also made:
The First Fandom Hall of Fame Award was presented to John Clute.
First Fandom Posthumous Hall of Fame Awards were presented to John “Ted” Carnell and Walter H. Gillings.
The Sam Moskowitz Archive Awards was presented to Mike Ashley.
The Forrest J Ackerman Big Heart Award was presented to Vincent Docherty.
A special Committee Award, decided by the Loncon 3 committee rather than being voted on by the membership, was awarded to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster in recognition of the first published appearance of Superman.
For information on how to join the more than 8,000 fans of science fiction and fantasy who have already signed up to attend Loncon 3, please visit http://www.loncon3.org/memberships/.
- Hentai Con in California Cancelled
- Wizard World to perform Reverse Stock Split to Increase Share Price
- Walker Stalker Nashville Cancellation may be an industry issue
- A-Kon acquired by outside investor, moves venues
- Anime Midwest gets Youtube stars.
- MAPPA is going to Chicago
- FLOW to Appear at ANISONG WORLD MATSURI at Otakon
- GaymerX Year 4 set to shake things up in Santa Clara this weekend
- Sci-Fi Scarborough welcomes Torchwood star
- New York City anime convention announces first six guests.
- Adventure Time and Steven Universe at Anime Midwest
- Otakon kicks off with Otakon Matsuri
- Ways for Comic Con to improve
- MomoCon 2014 Review
- Adventures at Dragon Con 2014
- World Sci-Fi Con announces 1939 Retro Hugo Award winners
- Anime Taiga Con is coming to Atlanta 2015
- Helpful resources for Comic Con attendees